1. Limit the intake of saturated fat, cholesterol, added sugars, salt, and alcohol.
2. Balance calories from food and beverages with calories expended.
3. Engage in regular physical activity at least 30-60 minutes five days a week.
4. Consume up to nine servings and more varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables per day.
5. Consume at least half of the daily grains as whole grains.
6. Consume three cups per day of low fat milk or milk products.
7. Consume less than 10% of calories as saturated fat, less than 300 mg/day of cholesterol, and as little trans-fatty acids as possible.
8. Consume plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains that are rich in fiber.
9. Use little added sugars or sweeteners.
10. Restict sodium to less than 2300 mg per day.
11. Use alcohol sensibly and in moderation.
12. Prepare food safely.